Direct School Admission (DSA) 2018
Nan Hua High School is an Autonomous Special Assistance Plan (SAP) school. Our vision is to be a SAP school of distinction that celebrates thinking, learning and each child’s potential and talent. Our mission is to nurture confident, creative and cultured students with a passion for learning.
In this year’s Direct School Admission (DSA) Exercise, we will admit students in the following categories:
- Performing Arts
- Chinese Orchestra
- Symphonic Band
- English Drama
- Chinese Drama
- Visual Arts - Chinese Calligraphy
- Athletics – boys & girls
- Badminton – boys & girls
- Basketball – boys
- Netball - girls
- Softball – girls
- Table-Tennis – boys & girls
- Volleyball – boys
B. Selection Criteria
By Category 1: CCA Talent
1. Outstanding achievements in any one of the CCA listed above.
2. Attained certification at Music or Dance examination/s from ABRSM, RAD, Trinity College, NAFA, NUS Centre for the Arts, etc where applicable.3. Ability to play the relevant musical instrument for Music CCAs. Ability to only play the piano, guitar or violin is not sufficient.
4. Attained at least Band 2 (70%) in at least 3 subjects in the Primary 6 Mid-Year School Examination AND offer Chinese Language. Higher Chinese is preferred.
By Category 2: Leadership1. Demonstrate exemplary character and leadership qualities.
2. (Uniformed Groups) Hold key school-wide leadership positions in Uniformed Groups (e.g. Chairperson, Patrol Leader, Squad Commander) at primary school. (Others) Hold key school-wide leadership positions in Prefectorial Board/Student Council (e.g. Head or Deputy Head Prefect or its equivalent) and/or student organisations in primary school.
3. Demonstrate strong and consistent academic results (attained at least 75% for all subjects including Higher Chinese for P6 Mid-Year Examination Results).
4. Supported by letter of recommendation, in any format, from a relevant primary school teacher. (To be submitted with the Application Form).
1. All applications must be made on the prescribed Application Form available for download from our school website from Monday 7 May 2018. Only those who satisfy the selection criteria need apply.
2. The closing date for application is Monday 2 July 2018 (5.00pm). Late submissions will not be considered. If possible, do submit your application by 26th Jun 2018.
3. Copies (Originals not required. Copies also need not be ‘certified true copies’) of the following documents MUST be submitted with the application form:
a) Primary 6 (Mid-Year) School Examinations Results or Results of equivalent School Examinations
b) Relevant Music or Dance Certificates (where applicable)
c) Supporting documents for Music/Dance/Drama/Sports Skills and CCA achievements
d) Letter of recommendation for category of Leadership
e) Other relevant documents deemed necessary.
4. Applicants currently not studying in our national schools must obtain a CEN / REG Number from Ministry of Education Customer Service Centre (MOE CSC) before making their applications.
5. All applications must be submitted by hand at the General Office at:
Nan Hua High School, 41 Clementi Avenue 1, Singapore 129956
Note: Incomplete application forms or applications without the necessary supporting documents will not be considered.
D. SELECTION PROCESS
1. Dates to note
Category 1: CCA Talent
Part 1 - Applicants for DSA by CCA Talent who meet the application criteria will be invited to attend a selection test on a specific date and time (Weekday afternoon) between 9 July 2018 and 13 July 2018.
Part 2 - Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview on a later date and time (Weekday afternoon) between 23 July 2018 and 27 July 2018.
Applicants for DSA by Leadership who meet the application criteria will be invited to attend an interview on a specific date and time (Weekday afternoon) between 9 July 2018 and 13 July 2018.
2. Documents to bring
Certified true copies of the following documents MUST be brought along on the day of selection and presented upon request:
a. Primary 6 (Mid-Year) School Examinations Results or Results of equivalent School Examinations
b. Relevant Music or Dance Certificates (where applicable)
c. For CCA Talent applicants: Supporting documents on Special Music/Dance/Drama/Sports Skills and CCA achievements
d. Letter of Recommendation (Leadership)
3. Selection test
· Test on Sight-reading (not applicable to Dance) / Script-reading (Drama)
· Performing part of a dance / a piece of music of own choice (not exceeding 5 minutes)
· Drama-improvisation (own act) (not exceeding 1 minute).
· Test on relevant skills specific to the individual sports.
Chinese Calligraphy· On-the-spot calligraphy-writing.
4. DSA Outcome
· Applicants will receive a reply from the school by post by 31 August 2018. Successful applicants will either receive a confirmed offer or be placed on the waiting list.
· Successful DSA-Sec students are NOT allowed to participate in the Secondary One Posting Exercise to opt for secondary schools.
· Successful DSA-Sec students are also NOT allowed to transfer to another school after the release of the PSLE results.
Updated as of 07 May 2018